BRYCE FUNERAL HOME, INC. HISTORY The Bryce Funeral Home was founded in 1917 at 2188 Fifth Avenue in the living quarters of the late Lowell H. and Evelyn Merrick Bryce. Troy possessed innumerable funeral homes in those days of 75,000 population, with much competition. However, in 1936, Lowell purchased 1820 Fifth Avenue in downtown Troy, an authentic brownstone with iron fenced courtyard, providing his growing clientele a large mahogany paneled parlor and one of the first casket display rooms in Troy. A second brownstone at 1818 afforded an additional parlor when L. Merrick Bryce, Lowell's son, joined the firm in 1947. In the 60's when urban renewal changed the face of Troy, the Bryce Funeral Home relocated to its present Austrian-styled manor house at the corner of Pawling and Maple Avenues on the East Side. European rock oak woodwork, high ceilings, stained glass windows, fireplaces, and soft lighting create an ambiance soothing to families. Helen H. Bryce and son L. Craig Bryce joined the firm in the 70's as "How we do our work matters" continues to be the trademark for three generations of Bryce Family caring professionalism and service. L. Merrick Bryce passed away on June 3, 2006. In 2007, our fourth generation was added to the staff when David Merrick Cluett became licensed.
DeGRAAF-BRYCE FUNERAL HOME, INC. HISTORY The DeGraaf Funeral Home was founded in 1910 by J. Elwin and Anna Rabie DeGraaf in their home on Route 150, just south of the 4 corners in West Sand Lake. Anna DeGraaf was one of the first female undertakers in New York State. In 1910 the traditional hearse was a horse-drawn coach which took much preparation to ready and, traditionally, was rented from a livery stable. In those early years, Elwin handled funerals throughout the Capital District. Visitation and funerals were held in private family homes, and many times services were paid for by bartering for hay and other goods or services. In 1959, L. Merrick Bryce acquired the business, renaming it “DeGraaf-Bryce Funeral Home,” constructing the existing colonial building and large parking area at its current location just north of the four corners, and continuing the tradition of excellence begun by the DeGraafs.
Bryce Funeral Home Inc. 276 Pawling Avenue At Maple Avenue, Troy, New York 12180 Phone 518 272-7281
DeGraaf-Bryce Funeral Home, Inc. 4392 Route 150, West Sand Lake, NY 12196 Phone 518 674-5790